Are you interested in starting a blog? Well, what’s better than chasing your dream and making passive income along. I will give you a complete guide on how to start a blog. Yeah! it’s possible you can do it.
People wanted to do this for several specific reasons such as:
- Earn passive income
- To share information
- Leave 9 to 5 work
You could also be on one of the top blogger’s lists with your efforts, blogging will help you achieve your goal.
So, without wasting more time, let’s get to the topic of how you can start a blog today.
Before starting your blog pick a great domain because it’s important to have a great name for your website. A great name makes a better engagement for your users.
Note: You can always change your domain name in the future if you like.
When I was learning to make a blog in 2019, it took me some time to understand and find all the right information online.
I have seen many great websites on the internet and have provided good information to users.
So I created this free step-by-step tutorial to teach beginners how to make a blog fast and easy. It’s not very difficult and complicated as a lot of people think.
Top 10 tips to start a blog:
- Step 1: Picking the topic for the blog.
- Step 2: Choose the blogging platform
- Step 3: Pick a domain name
- Step 4: Select a web hosting provider
- Step 5: Installing WordPress on hosting
- Step 6: Select a theme for your WordPress
- Step 7: Install the best WordPress plugins
- Step 8: Write your first blog post
- Step 9: Promote your content (Share)
- Step 10: Monetize your blog
- Step 11: Drive traffic to your blog
Note: To make this action easy for you, I’m suggesting you only those options which are already working on the internet.
How To Start A Blog From Scratch
Within the next few minutes, you will learn with our blog creation guide that how to start a blog.
After reading this guide you will have your blog up and running.
Step 1: Picking the topic for the blog.
Before learning about how to start a successful blog you must find the niche of your blog. By the meaning of niche, I mean finding a topic that your blog is going to be about.
You must find your niche and figure out how to make it profitable and figure out who going to be your ideal readers are.
In short, a niche is a topic that you are going to write about. Like Technology, SEO, PPC, News, Space, etc.
Blogs are easy to monetize and they usually contain affiliate links, advertisements, etc, and mostly that’s how they become profitable.
Tips that will help you to get started:
- To be a successful blogger, do not plan to blog about every random thing because doing so can take a lot of time to become a successful blog. Because this doesn’t work in 2020 and when you blog on a single topic your chance of success is better.
- To become a successful blogger, work on acquiring the highest knowledge withing that subject which you are most interested in. So choose the only those niche that appeals to you – what you are passionate about.
- For beginners, I always prefer to take the help of paper-pen and write down the topics you wanted to write about like Technology, Finance, Photography, SEO, and so on. Think about what best you can create with your topics.
- By choosing a place of interest and keeping your own point, you will be able to separate your personal blog from your competitors.
These are some critical steps you should take before starting a blog, as they will help you to the topic that you are most passionate about.
Well, Google, Yahoo, Bing are some biggest search engines that prefer a website that is built on a single topic.
Note: Choosing the appropriate niche is the first and most important step to start a new blog.
Step 2: Choose the blogging platform
After finding your niche, the next thing is to determine the type of management tool you wanted to use. When it comes to a popular blogging platform, you have many free platforms.
Free Platforms: For many new bloggers, free blogging platforms are WordPress.com, Blogger, or Tumblr is tempting, Joomla, Drupal, PrestaShop.
Many bloggers start their blogging career on the WordPress platform.
WordPress is one of the best and popular CMS(Content Management Tool) because it’s easy to use.
One of the interesting facts is: 37% of the website around the world is powered by WordPress. Having 76.5 million sites in its core. It is recommended by 99% of the blogging experts.
Step 3: Pick a domain name
Your domain name will be your unique address on the internet. Your domain will be yours as long as you pay the annual fee to your domain name provider. Your blog will be known by your domain name on the internet, those users who knew your domain/URL can simply enter it into their browser and come to your website.
Apart from that users will be able to discover you through search engines such as Google and Bing, so you definitely find a unique name for your blog.
There are several rules that you should usually use while picking up a domain name:
- Easy to remember name
- Easy to type
- Easy to pronounce
- Easy to brandable
- Prefer .com domain name than everything else
- Make sure your domain name should not be confusing.
In my opinion, your blog name is very important. If you want to create a personal portfolio then you can also have a domain name under your name, if you want to make yourself a brand.
But remember do not use a too-long domain name. Try to keep it lower than 12 characters. Ex: Lagted.com.
Never use domain extensions like .info, .net, .xyz, and so on, because these type of extensions tend to rank badly in search engines. For blogging, I always prefer to use extensions like .com, .in, .org.
Step 4: Select a web hosting provider
Hosting is like land, as if you want to build your house, you need land for it, in the same way, you need hosting to start a blog.
After choosing a great domain name, you should also purchase reliable hosting to start your blogging career. Because if you do not choose a good hosting provider, then you may have to face problems in the coming time.
Hosting is a server that is online 24 * 7. On hosting, all your future blog pictures, the design of your blog, and everything else will be adorned on it. Your website needs to be up and running 24*7.
Step 5: Installing WordPress on hosting
After purchasing your domain name and hosting, half of your work is done.
Now all you have to do is to install WordPress in your hosting. You can install WordPress through your cPanel.
Your hosting provider provides you a cPanel where you can manage everything in your hosting from installing apps like WordPress, Prestashop, Joomla, and so on. You can maintain your emails, redirections, file manager, MySQL Database( Learn how to maintain your MySQL Database here), and other kinds of stuff.
But installing WordPress is a very easy kind of work so you can easily do it.
Step 6: Select a Theme for Your WordPress
After completing some things like a blogging platform, blog niche, domain name, hosting provider, the task comes to choose the perfect theme for your website.
Because a theme is like a face (design and layout) of your website, a good face attracts more users.
“The first impression is the last impression” is the mantra of success.
The theme creates a better environment for users to read and learn.
Blog layout is the most important aspect of your blog because a good design will ensure that your visitors will love your blog.
So always search for those types of themes that are completely tailored to your wishes and behave well with users. Always choose the type of themes that give you full access and must have some features on them, such as Sidebars, Footers, good Fonts, provide you additional Social bar, etc.
In WordPress, there’s always a default section called “WordPress Themes” where There are ready-made designs that are available for all types of blogs.
There are many Free and premium WordPress themes out there. Usually, you can use any premium themes which are available in the WordPress theme store but with some lack of features, to use full features of any theme you need to buy the full theme.
Read also: How to Install a WordPress theme
Step 7: Install the best WordPress plugins
After selecting a theme, the next step is to choose plugins for your website. There are millions of plugins available, but to get started you need some of the most important plugins for your website. Below I only mentioned the plugins that you should install from day one.
Below I have mentioned some important plugins that you should install:
Read our tutorial to learn how to install a WordPress plugin.
You can find a list of the best WordPress plugins here.
As I told you there are lots of plugins on the internet, but I only recommend these four plugins if you just started your blogging journey.
Initially, these four plugins will give complete support for your website on starting.
Tip: Do not install a lot of plugins from the beginning of your website. Only install those plugins that you need, because the use of redundant plugins affects the load speed of the website.
Step 8: Write your first blog post
The next step is to find out what content you need to create for your blog. Your first blog post will serve as your blogging business base. “Content is King” Always create rich and interesting content that attracts users.
- Without great content, even the most well-designed, tightly structured website ultimately fails. So while writing your content, imagine that there is a person sitting right next to you, and you are talking to someone. This way you can write familiar content for your readers.
- Your written content should include all aspects of your subject matter that you are writing about. Always write your article(Blog) in about 1000+ words.
- Never copy someone’s content, which will give bad results to your site.
- Never copy images from Google. Use these sites to get free images.
Step 9: Add important pages to your blog.
Before you start writing your day-to-day blog posts, You need to add some important pages to your blog Like:
- About page: Contains detail about your blog, and you. The most traditional page on any blog is About page. This page tells your visitors what is your blog all about. You can see our About Us page for an example.
- Contact page: A page with a contact form. So that your visitors can communicate with you.
- Disclaimer page
- Terms and conditions
Step 10: Promote your content (Share)
Promoting your content on the internet is the best way to get backlinks and traffic for your website.
Promoting your content on the internet is the best way to get backlinks and traffic for your website.
1. To promote your blog, go social. To get social with your blog, you need a Facebook page, Instagram account, Twitter account, and also share on your WhatsApp group.
Read our article, which will help you to get started.
- How to create Facebook FanPage for your Blog
- How to create a Twitter profile
- How to create an Instagram business profile for your blog.
2. Submit your blog on Google search engine it will help to index your blogs on google.
3. Write guest posts for other websites, Guest blogging is an excellent way to build an online presence.
4. Advertising on the web with the help of Google Adwords and Facebook Ads.
5. Link to other Best authority sites.
Read also Use Social Media to get Quality Backlinks
Learn more about How to Promote your Blog.
Step 11: Monetize your blog
There are several ways by which you can create a passive income for yourself through your blog.
Advertisement: Many companies provide ads for your website, some of them I’ve mentioned here:
- Google Adsense
Affiliate Marketing: When it comes to making money online, affiliate marketing is one of the best things, there is no limit to earning, everything is based on your sales. It is one of those things of the online world, that doesn’t require any degree or formal education.
Selling digital products: If you have E-books, courses then you can sell them on your blog and earn income through it.
Sponsorship: Sponsorship is also a great way to earn income if your blog has enough traffic to attract an Advertiser then this will be a great deal because advertisers are willing to pay you for placing a sponsored post on your blog.
Step 12: Drive traffic to your blog
As you have done everything mentioned above, you will start getting traffic through social media sites. Yes, that won’t be enough, so here are some tips you can use to get more traffic on your blog. Because more traffic makes more money.
Tip 1: Doing SEO for your blog (website) is the best and easiest way to generate organic traffic and get the best ranking on Google. With SEO you get backlinks from many websites. Having backlinks from many websites increases Google’s trust in your blog.
Tip 2: Always do forum posting to reach more visitors to your website.
Tip 3: Email Marketing, Guest Posting, On-page SEO
Frequently asked questions (FAQ) about starting a blog?
How much money can you make from blogging?
Well, it depends on many factors. Your blog must have great content so it can attract more visitors because more visitors means more money.
How long should your post be?
Your article must have 1000+ words, so it can rank on Google and compete with competitors.
How to start a blog for free?
If you like to start for free you can use blogger.com, tumbler, medium, WordPress.com. If you use free blogging platforms you cannot put Google Ads on them. Hey but you can do affiliate marketing on them if your visitors have trust in you.
Many questions asked before starting a blog?
- What is a blog?
- What is a niche and how do I choose one for my blog?
- What should I blog about?
- How much does it cost to start a blog?
- Should I start my blog on WordPress?
- How can I monetize my blog?
- What are Google Adsense alternatives?
- How Bloggers got paid?
- How do I switch from HTTP to HTTPS?
Welcome to Lagted
Congratulations! Now you’ve learned about how to start a blog. You have got your domain name, hosting, and setting up a blog. Next, always try to learn something new about WordPress and be familiar with the WordPress dashboard.
For further reading:
See our other articles on Lagted.com
For further reading:
- (FDE) Full Disk Encryption || Advantages & Disadvantages
- 10 Things Must Do Before Changing The WordPress Theme
- 10+ Best Keyword Research Tool For SEO: 2020 Edition
- 20+ Best WordPress Plugins For Beginners | (Free & Paid)
- 5 Best Features of New ColorOS 12 (Android 12), Improved & Redesigned UI: You Should Know